Making music content more accessible
We do the following:
- make, broadcast, curate and promote articles, interviews, films, digital concerts, podcasts and animations
- collect and sell scores, sheet music and other music resources
- advise on repertoire, programming and performance of music
- provide development opportunities for composers and community orchestras or groups through projects, collaborations, prizes and awards
- present workshops and wānanga
- promote and inform through news, events and activities.
In partnership with RNZ Concert and with funding from NZ On Air, we produce high-quality films of music by New Zealand composers and then strategically promote these on our digital platforms. These films are of both live concerts and studio sessions performed throughout the country and are of performances of New Zealand's leading music organisations and performers. There are currently over 1,300 films on our YouTube channel.
Performers, presenters and school and music teachers have access to numerous resources on the SOUNZ website. Our animations and podcasts provide engaging audio and visual content for learning purposes, on subjects seldom found on mainstream sites.
Podcasts tell the stories of Aotearoa New Zealand Māori, Pacific and Western music. Our podcasts have been broadcast or are scheduled for broadcast on Radio New Zealand’s two networks RNZ National and RNZ Concert, and a selection are available on RNZ’s website.
We work in collaboration with local artists to produce animations that are aimed at 15-25 year olds, to tell the stories of the music of Aotearoa New Zealand and traditional instruments.